Thursday, January 10, 2008

Search Tools for locating podcasts

Frustration!! It was very frustrating to have Podcast.net and Podcastalley.com BLOCKED -- I viewed both of these at home and they are rich in content! Virginia Beach Public Library is waking up to the fact that 21st technologies need to be an everyday part of our customer service strategies and yet access to this technology is blocked. No wonder our library system is behind the power curve in providing access to services our customers want and need.

Also, I read an article that stated that Yahoo closed their Podcast directory on Oct. 31st. Of the three top podcast directories listed in Thing 24 - two were blocked and one was defunct.

I reviewed Podcast.net and Podcastalley.com at home. I liked the look and feel of PodcastAlley.com so I searched for podcasts on that directory. Then back at work I opened and listened to two podcasts:
1. Open Stacks along with Uncontrolled Vocabulary “A live interactive discussion of current events in the world of libraries and librarians”
This was a live chat program, talk show format, about current issues in the library world. Some fluff, some substance. I don't like talk radio, so I really didn't care for this format type, however, I can ABSOLUTELY see the value of these podcasts. Librarians sharing their opinions about current issues that impact libraries and librarians today is a wonderful use of podcasts.

2. LibVibe: the library news podcast. “A check of headline news from the library world”
This was a newscast format. An announcer read headlines and articles in brief newscasting format about happenings in the library world. Each podcast is usually under 10 min. and just gives a brief overview of events & issues. I could see playing this in the background while working on other tasks, it would be an easy, quick way to keep current on library news.

I also listened to podcasts of librarians who work with teens, graphic novels and teens, and browsed other podcast titles that I want to follow up on a later date.

Some of the podcasts have poor quality sound, others are professional all the way. I would like to see VBPL create a live chat show featuring the regional library directors, library managers and library workers discussing library issues that affect all of Hampton Roads.

Did I find anything useful here? You bet I did! Podcasts can be used to: keep library staff current on library issues; provide short tutorials for staff and customers on how to use services, etc.
Some interesting uses of podcasts by VBPL would be:
  • have some of the LCDT answers as podcasts
  • welcoming messages to new hires from the director, or library managers
  • Good job! podcasts that could highlight some of the achievements of staff

Lots of useful possibilities for podcasts!

Postscript: I created my very first PODCAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I signed on to gabcast.com, went through all the steps and voila! it is on my blog. Just click on play and listen! Gabcast has the feature of podcasting using a telephone rather than a microphone and it really makes it easy, easy to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Journey from Libary 1.0 thinking to Library 2.0 action!

This will be a new beginning as I explore with you the concepts of Library 2.0 and how it can and should impact the way resources are cataloged!




Cataloging is...
Access to information
The structure that makes things findable
The keyring that holds all the keys together
The right tool for finding information