Friday, January 11, 2008

Explore Rollyo

Interesting.

I reviewed the searchrolls and they seem very busy to me, I didn't expect to see all the stuff that appeared when I did a search. I'm not sure how this will save time in finding something.

I created my account, created a search roll for movies called: DVDs & Movies, added the searchroll to my blog via the "create a searchbox", and also added the search link in my Links folder. So I am all set!

I chose the movies theme for my searchroll because as the DVD cataloger I constantly have to search for academy award winners, actors, actresses and information on the movies themselves. The two sites I added to my searchroll are Cuadra's Movie-STAR database [quick search for academy awards] and the IMDb for everything movies! I'm hoping that a search of these two using Rollyo will be quicker than calling the individual sites up from either the start menu, or the favorites. It certainly seems convenient at this point. I did try a search of my searchroll and one of the generic ones: Books & authors: Sharyn McCrumb (of course!) and I liked the search results. I also liked the fact that the search sites for the roll show up on the left, so that you know where the results came from. If you want to add/delete sites from an established searchroll you can. You then give it a name and the new combination of sites in the searchroll become a new roll that you created, similiar to, but not the same as the original one.

Anything that saves the time of staff I am all for! I see the potential use as an efficiency tool that lets you search multiple, trusted sites for specific information. As a novice user of Rollyo I will give it a trial run over the next couple of weeks, see if there are more search rolls that I can create and search for ones that may prove time savers.




No comments:

Post a Comment

My Journey from Libary 1.0 thinking to Library 2.0 action!

This will be a new beginning as I explore with you the concepts of Library 2.0 and how it can and should impact the way resources are cataloged!




Cataloging is...
Access to information
The structure that makes things findable
The keyring that holds all the keys together
The right tool for finding information