Friday, January 11, 2008

LibraryThing

Am I a cataloger at heart -- you betcha!!

I truly believe LibraryThing is an excellent tool for people who have small personal libraries they want to organize, corporations and companies who have corporate collections they want to organize and for sure church libraries who want to organize a library. Author, title, subject, DDC call number, tags, ISBN, publication information can all be added as well as sorted by. You can even add a book manually if you want! I would definitely recommend this tool for anyone who wants to organize their library collection.

A drawback: there is no circulation module! This would be a definite concern for church libraries, or small corporate libraries who had to keep track of circulating copies. Of course they could put the person who has the title in the comments or private comments column [and remember to delete their name when they brought it back!]

A positive: you don't need to know how to catalog and you only need to add or display the information you will need or want to use. The detailed MARC record that satisfies the needs of the public library does not have to be used in a personal collection, and LibraryThing's catalog record provides vital fields for bibliographic description. If more detailed information is desired, the title can be entered manually.

I cataloged 13 titles from my personal home collection. It was easy and fun to do, I may end up cataloging my whole personal collection with my own account!! I put my LibraryThing, LibraryThing search widget and the LibraryThing chicklets on the blog for all to see!


I wonder if LibraryThing could be used for the periodicals catalog until the serials module is fully functioning?

I definitely give this product a thumbs up!


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Journey from Libary 1.0 thinking to Library 2.0 action!

This will be a new beginning as I explore with you the concepts of Library 2.0 and how it can and should impact the way resources are cataloged!




Cataloging is...
Access to information
The structure that makes things findable
The keyring that holds all the keys together
The right tool for finding information